Rockset Reimagines Data-Driven Applications in the Cloud
SAN MATEO, Calif. – November 1, 2018 - Rockset, the serverless search and analytics company, today formally launched and unveiled the industry’s first cloud service that runs SQL directly on raw data. Rockset offers developers and data scientists the shortest path from data to applications. The company was founded by engineers who built the online data and search infrastructure that supported Facebook’s growth from 40 million to 1.5 billion users. They experienced the challenges of building data products first hand and subsequently set out to simplify data-driven applications.
“Everyone is collecting more data today, but it is still incredibly difficult to go from useful data to useful apps,” said Venkat Venkataramani, co-founder and CEO of Rockset. “Typical data infrastructures have pipelines resembling Rube Goldberg machines, with a series of specialized tools and databases stitched together. We built Rockset to empower developers and data scientists to go from any raw data, residing anywhere, to apps and live dashboards in a matter of minutes.”
Data-driven applications are quickly becoming the new normal, from personalized portals to connected devices. But they consume different types of data from different sources. Traditional SQL databases cannot handle the fluid shape or scale of streaming machine-generated data, while NoSQL systems do not support complex queries. As a result, software teams have been forced to use a variety of tools for storing, processing, and serving data, resulting in complex data pipelines that are hard to build and use. Rockset eliminates that complexity with a single easy-to-use service that enables data-driven apps without pipelines.
Shortest Path from Data to Apps
Rockset is designed to serve applications and live dashboards directly from raw data, in real-time. Rockset allows fast SQL on JSON, XML, CSV, and Parquet, without requiring any data preparation. Its patent-pending Converged Indexing™ is backed by RocksDB, which, combined with its Distributed Query Processing Engine, delivers the performance and scale necessary for operational applications and interactive data science.
- Operate directly on raw data: Rockset ingests raw data from multiple sources, such as Apache Kafka, Amazon Kinesis, Amazon RDS, and Amazon S3, and makes them instantly queryable, without any upfront schema definition or data modeling.
- Use fast SQL: Rockset supports standard SQL on different types of data, so developers and data scientists are not required to learn a new query language. It provides millisecond-latency SQL to join, group, sort, and filter across multiple data sets.
- Scale without servers: Rockset scales transparently to handle bursty ingest and query loads. As a fully managed cloud service, Rockset removes the overhead of managing servers, shards, or indexes.
- Users can sign up to access Rockset, available as a cloud service, here.
- Register for Rockset’s launch webinar with its founders on November 8, 2018 here.
- Visit Rockset at AWS re:Invent 2018 in booth 813 to see the service in action.
Rockset’s vision is to build a data-driven future. Rockset provides a serverless search and analytics engine, making it easy to go from data to applications. The team comprises data and distributed systems experts who co-created the Hadoop Filesystem, the Gmail backend, and the online data and search infrastructure that powers all user-facing apps at Facebook. Rockset is backed by Greylock Partners and Sequoia Capital. For more information, go to rockset.com or follow Rockset at @RocksetCloud.